3 Reasons why we shouldn’t use Linux

After doing some research on Linux finally i have concluded on 3 reasons why we shouldn’t use Linux.

1) Companies running on donations
The companies which are making Linux Distributions are running on donation.For Example if all the peoples started using Linux Will this increase the income of companies which are making Linux? off course not because their income depends on donations instead of sale of their OS.But If more and more Peoples use windows then off course the income of Microsoft will increase and they will hire more experienced engineers and will make windows more easier.

2) Too many distributions, will they survive?
This is a very important question.As i have already mentioned that all the companies which are making Linux are running on donations.If they receive limited donation it will be very difficult for the companies to keep status of these distributions alive.
So why to have a risk that will you receive updates or not for your OS’s in future.Try a paid OS today and omit this tension from your mind.

3) Difficult to understand
If you compare Linux with any other OS like Windows or Mac OS you will find that Linux is too much difficult than other OS’s.For Example If you want to install a software in Windows or Mac OS you can do this by running a simple installer but if you want to install a software in Linux you will have to install it from a source.

Share and Enjoy:

99 Comments

1. Joel says:

LOL, this article is full of hilarious blunders and was obviously written by someone who doesn’t have the slightest clue about linux. Thanks for the laughs!

2. OhOh says:

Get ready to be flamed. All 3 of your “reasons” are not valid:

1/2 – there are commercial Linux vendors (Red Hat, Novell, Mandriva, …)
    3 – I guess package managers do not exist in Linux

3. Chris says:

1) Well this is largely untrue: Canonical, Red Hat, Novell and others have sound business models, mostly selling support. The open nature of Linux and GNU projects means costs are considerably lower.
    2) The people behind most of the small/lesser known distributions are running them for their own interests, and even if they lose interest, other people tend to take them over. They don’t die out easily. Windows, on the other hand, stops supplying updates as soon as it’s in their own interests to make you pay for a new product.
    3) My personal experiences are only with Ubuntu and XP. Ubuntu is faaaar easier to install. XP was a bloody nightmare. Also, I believe Windows makes it very difficult to install alongside another OS, whereas Ubuntu goes out of its way to make it easy.
    Installing additional programs is also far easier in Ubuntu. You go to Add/Remove -> Choose the one you want -> Click Apply. You rarely have to build something from source code, but the option is there (and its usually very easy) if you run out of options, which you usually won’t.

4. daybrinjer says:

1) It’s free as in beer too because it’s developed on beer.

2) Sure there are a lot but they all run off of the same framework, it’s like saying that there are too many windows versions out there, some are built for different things.

Number 3, Seriously… Mac’s are hard to understand, editing config files is so simple and fast.

5. Someone WithABrain says:

Brilliant work! Well researched! NOT!

1) False: Red Hat, Novell, …

2) Silly: Changing distros causes little disruption for Linux users. That is why they try so many and switch at will. It is called a non-monopoly, and that is a good thing.

3) Wrong: Most distros have almost all mainstream apps available (free!) in their standard repositories with both gui and simple console commands to install and update. Much easier than Windows.

6. levinux says:

you haven’t used linux right? start a real research please

7. KimTjik says:

I’ve only one question: is this a serious article?

8. Tux says:

“After doing some research on Linux”

Not much, obviously.

9. Andy G says:

This was the most uninformed article I’ve ever read. Why don’t you learn what’s good about Linux instead, and shut the **** **.

10. Chris Smart says:

I’m not sure what sort of research you did but your three points are complete rubbish.

1) The top Linux vendors are Red Hat, Canonical, Mandriva, Novell – all of which are major companies developing Linux.

Not to mention that IBM, Oracle and many other major companies are hiring Linux developers which improve Linux.

Linux will always have better development because it’s open source and attracts millions of developers around the world, all working to make it better – Microsoft can never compete with that.

Just look how far Linux has come in the past 5 years. The proof is in the pudding, as they say.

2) The fact that there are lots of distros is a good thing. If your distro disappears, it’s VERY VERY trivial to switch to another. But considering that the major distros like Debian and Red Hat have been running for over 15 years it’s highly unlikely these will disappear.

3) I think you have this BACK TO FRONT. To install a program (like Firefox) in Linux, you can do it with a single click from a built in repository.

On Windows you have to go to the website, download the file, run the file, click next, next, next, reboot your machine and you’re done. Linux is FAR more powerful and much more easy to use than Windows AND Mac.

-c

11. Robert Nichols says:

Three reasons we should use Linux.
    Competition, competition, and competition.
    It’s all I use. No more complicated than Windows. There’s something out there to fit your needs. There’s more ways to make a profit than just selling an OS.

A happy Linux user…

12. Graybeard says:

Linux is not difficult. Users are just plain stupid.

Software Licences are not a bad thing. But they should rather resemble drivers licences than EULAs.

13. Dean M says:

Research? Sounds like you work for Best Buy and have been to one of their Microsoft Brain Washing Sessions. Did Microsoft promise a free copy of Windows 7 for such propaganda?

14. Bob says:

Let’s see now. Your total site consists of Windows blogs and this piece of nothing. Nice! So, besides being a troll, what credentials do you have?

15. cenata says:

1) Like all people already said – look at Red Hat, Novell, Canonical ….
    2) I use only major distributions … and don’t think they will disappear soon .
    3) *** ?! I haven’t installed software from source for YEARS …

What kind of research did you make? You got a time machine and went 5-6 years back ?

16. Don Birdsall says:

“It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt.”

The author of this article has proven it.

17. Oz says:

Dude,
    I’ve skipped your post for comments.
    It’s much more interesting to see how tolerant people are for the complete non-sense you wrote here.

But what ever you are – a troll or a teenager, or just s… – thanks for the laugh.

18. mcox says:

Did your research consist of reading Microsofts ‘get the facts’ website?

19. Jazon says:

Geez. “After doing research?” Who provided you the stuff? Microsoft?

20. sinaisix says:

What a highly researched, highly f*****l post! I strongly suggest you read 5 things Microsoft does not want you to know about Windows. You will get more Linux facts and secrets that you can share with your readers like you have done in this post. Cheers to your blogging success.

21. Den says:

This article obviously written by a microsoftie and targeted at people that didn’t try Linux yet.

22. Rasta says:

“On Windows you have to go to the website, download the file, run the file, click next, next, next, reboot your machine and you’re done. ”

It’s actually:
    - buy antivirus, install it, reboot
    - go to website, download file, scan the file
    - oops, update the AV program, reboot
    - oops, it’s windows update, install them, reboot
    - ok, run downloaded file, next, next, next,
    ok, reboot
    - run the prog, install it’s updates, reboot
    - run the prog and USE IT!

23. Dave Le Huray says:

Ha Ha Ha Ha, very funny, this had me rolling on the floor!!!!

24. Anon says:

You, sir, fail at English, at logic, and at fact-finding. I’m sure the many comments before mine have already ripped your post to shreds, but I’ll take my stab:

1.) The companies that make Linux distros also make money on service and support contracts, so the more people use them, the more money they stand to make. There are also companies that sponsor the development for Linux that make extensive use of it for their own needs, but do not release a distro. (Google, IBM, and many others) Also, why don’t you take a look at Red Hat’s stock over the past year, then compare with Microsoft’s stock? You may be enlightened.

2.) Since I’ve dispelled the whole “running only on donations” part, there is little to worry about for the big Linux distros like Ubuntu, Red Hat, and Fedora. Since anyone can make their own distro, sure some hobbyist could make a one-man distro and eventually decide to abandon it, but that would have no effect on the large, established distros. And the differences from one Linux distro to another are usually minor–certainly less than the differences between one Windows release and the next. But to go back to your “donations” point, if you are so concerned about the survivability of a nonprofit Linux distribution, I suggest you take a look at the history of Debian Linux, which was first released in 1993, is still going strong today, and serves as the base of the popular Ubuntu distribution.

3.) 10 years ago, you might have had a point. But now, you are flat wrong. Sure, you have the option of installing from source, but these days, if you are installing from source on Linux, 999 times out of 1000, you are doing it wrong. Linux has something called a package manager. It’s like one giant App Store. Just search for the software you want, click a check box, and sit back as the software is automatically downloaded and install. The package manager handles updates for the entire system, both core OS and any installed applications, at once. There is also the excellent and free forum support as well as plenty of information out there on Google.

Of course, if you still find yourself having difficulty using Linux, maybe you could talk to the author of this article for some help:

25. eggdeng says:

Besides, English is too much difficult than other languages.

26. Gordy says:

This is total crap. The author of this blog cannot have used a Linux distro in years.

1/2 There are commercial offerings such as Redhat and Novell who have been around for years who make money by selling support to their enterprise versions.

3. Distros are easy to install these days. Installing sofware on them is a breeze with package managers,,, I don’t think he has heard of a package manager. graphical ones you just point and click which software you want and install multiple software all at the same time… not like Windows when you install programs one at a time. Also the average Linux system is so easy to update. Don’t have to wait a month for patch tuesday, often updates are received twice sometimes three times in a week. Linux is not hard to use. My grandmother could use it

articles like this make my blood boil.

27. Ricard says:

The author never used Linux.
    I agree *sometimes* software is not easy to install, but the way he said software is installed in Linux is NOT TRUE!

28. Grundy Green says:

i install desktops and servers and have never installed from source. NEVER.
    However in the unlikely event that all the linux companies disappear over night (bought likely as the sun going nova next week), I could build from source my own linux based OS.
    Can’t do that with Windows can you?

29. cbleslie says:

This is really poorly written, and I’m not even talking about the content. The author should check his grammar before publishing.

30. jramirez says:

haha Wow !
    Does that sound like Steve Ballmer or what ?

31. dar says:

1. Your research must have taken place about 15 years ago. The vast majority of software can be installed with a single click and entering a password. Installing from source is rarely necessary.

2. There are commercial versions of Linux that you can purchase. Red Hat is doing quite well.

3. You may want to proofread your material before posting to the internet.

32. theniteguy says:

The main reason I DON’T use Windows, I no longer have to worry about BSOD’s, DRM, mysterious and more often than not, desktop pop-ups telling me my computer is full of spyware, malware, trojan horses, virii, ad nauseum. The truth is, that is what windows is.

33. François says:

Well, I cannot really agree with everything you say but I definitely have to admit that you bring up quite important points.

Despites the flames that are probably roaring around you for this post, I think that you should actually be thanked for bringing up both you opinion about linux as a windows user and your vision of what would makes an OS valuable to you.

Somehow, I hope this post will help us make it up to you sometime with a comfortable spot for you in this OS.

Since you seem happy with the idea of spending a little money to get a product that suits you better, maybe your best be would be to have a look at things such as SUSE or Red Hat…

Have fun and please, give Linux a try every once in a while… it’s evolving quite fast these days and you might eventually hit your sweet spot.

34. Ed says:

The author must be a Micro$oft employee or a “lightweight” computer user. I’ve used several distros over the past 4 years and they all their good and bad points. I’ve now settled on Ubuntu and updating software couldn’t be easier! It works great for my purposes.

35. Which distribution have you tried?
    Do yourself a favor: Download either ubuntu, fedora or mandriva, install it and prove your theory.

36. Felipe says:

Please continue using wintendo!!!!

37. Jason M. says:

Hold on. I think we have a Best Buy employee describing is at work training…

38. THomas says:

My mother, who has been a great grandmother now for several years uses Fedora, all of my children (youngest of which is 5) use Fedora. It’s hardly too hard to understand.

I keep a couple of win2k instances running one for a single application that my children use and one to drive a Canon printer (Canon thought it was a good idea to move some of the firmware into software in the OS to make the copier cheaper apparently so until it’s replaced, I’ll use Win2k as a print server). The first instance that my children use has now been moved to a virtual machine because they couldn’t stand waiting for the dual boot version to start (maybe) 20 minutes after reboot!

WinXP and Vista both exist as VMs too but are very rarely used. In fact, the only time I bother with starting them is when I encounter that rare web site that seems married to IE.

I don’t completely knock Microsoft as they have what they have and people still use it because they love it but I’ll say one thing: I think I spend more time trying to clean up Windows based PCs following careless surfing habits for unaware distant family members than I have spent repairing all of my household’s Linux systems (5) combined. Repairing Windows is a real chore sometimes.

39. Roni Oliva says:

Briefly commenting on Your Article ..

1. Windows is already supposed to be easy to use, so why should MS hire more engineers to make it easier?

2. Everyone know that all Linux distros will not survive, you would have to be really dense to believe that it will. Choose the most popular distro like Fedora, Suse, Ubuntu, etc. as these distros are the most popular, or if you want roll your own version of Linux if you have the brain power.

3. As with many OS’s and applications, there is always a learning curve. Once you have “played” with them it gets easier. Now go and re-research the info for you article and get it right.

40. ShopForLinux says:

This “article” seems to be written based on research information provided by someone who works for Microsoft’s advertising department. There is no factual information posted here.

Seriously, do some research….real research. try a Linux distribution, then re-examine your article.

41. Bob Robertson says:

Source?

Is access to the source code so utterly alien to Windows users that just having the choice to use source code makes them go apoplectic?

How can anyone who says there are “too many distributions” then talk about “having” to compile from source? As far as I know there is one and only one distribution that routinely compiles from source. (Linux from Scratch is not a distribution, it’s a cookbook)

42. Linux Affic says:

If it werent for the obvious lack of understanding the english language, I would say this was written by someone who works at Microsoft.

So seriously .. how much did Bill pay you to write this?

43. Truthy says:

What we have here is living proof that Microsoft Certified Career College Grads are the dumbest human beings on the planet.

44. JNevill says:

Fantastically retarded. Here’s three reasons why you shouldn’t eat.

1. Eating makes you fat.
    2. Food spoils and nobody like food thats more spoilered than it should be based on other food that also spoils but not more faster than is ok.
    3. Some other reason I just made up thats more worse than the last reason.

45. Tracy says:

I have been using Linux for a year now. I switched from Vista purely because my computer was so slow and the processor was being overworked constantly. I switch on my computer now and it works smoothly, so I don’t spend hours cleaning all the temp files, startup entries, registry files, running anti-spyware, anti-virus scans, defragging and installing software one by one. Who needs windows?

46. Julio says:

Who wrote this? If you don’t have a clue about Linux, stay quiet. Did you really use a modern Linux distro like Mandriva, Ubuntu, Suse, Debian…?

47. Julio says:

After doing some research on astrophysics and general science, I have decided to write about it. I do not have a clue but it does not matter.

48. Andrew G. says:

Wow – How many bucks does M$ pays for such articles these days?
    Just short before the 7 Release more and more Linux traducements appear through the net, “misteriously”.
    Like this you lose your credibility Mr Ballmer, not Linux users! You can relay that to him…

49. G says:

1. Google is terrible.

2. My Tivo never records the shows I like.

3. TomTom’s GPS navigation is too hard to use.

50. Tak says:

This article highlights a very serious deficiency in Linux software: grammar checking.

It is imperative that we begin working on grammar analysis and correction software IMMEDIATELY, in order to stem the tide of articles like this one.